Saturday 23 June 2012

Giftnell Lastofthhikings . . aka MIKA

When Spy was 2 years old, I caused WW3 in my house and put my name down for a Border Collie (from Giftnell Border Collies in Pretoria)

Thank you to Onel Orsmond for giving me my first 'black & white' :))

Mika was a revelation ! Arriving after the stubborn and often difficult nature of a terrier - she was a joy . . and her particular personality was so gentle - she soon won over all those who voted against her at home :)

Mika was, at the same time, a STEEP learning curve for me. She is clever and quick and I had to get up to speed with training and handling and like FAST!!  Especially when it came to training focus and agility skills! I have made LOTS of mistakes, learnt a LOT and would not swap her for anything!! She has taught me tons, forced me to become WAY more technical in my training.

Mika has taken a little while to mature, she is deeply sensitive and is affected by any kind of upset :) She is currently in Grade 1 agility, Grade 2 Non Contact agility and Grade 1 Dog jumping.

I recently read an editorial in Clean Run (June 2012) about a dogs JCS account - their Joy Confidence Speed account. I realised that I have been running 'safe' rounds to try go clear at all costs to get the qualification . . . . the problem with this is that Mika doesn't know me like this, I'm not like that at training . . and she reacts badly . . and then so do I. I need to concentrate on having fun with Mika and giving her confidence and then the good rounds should follow :)) an attitude adjustment!!






Mika and Spy after passing their CGC (silver)
(photo courtesy of Ian Macfarlane)

No comments:

Post a Comment